Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Beverage of the Week - Appleton V/X Estate Rum

The best part of doing these booze reviews - it gives me a reason to go dig about and research the product at hand. I've already learned quite a bit of interesting stuff about previous beverages, and this week was doubly nice because I've a lot less background in rum than whiskeys or beer (though I did pick up some interesting historical knowledge from Tom Standage's A History of the World in Six Glasses, which I highly recommend).

In the snifter this week we have one of our household-standards, Appleton V/X Rum. Aside from stimulating me to look a bit more closely at an old favorite, I thought it would also be a good departure to review something in the bargain category - you shouldn't have any trouble finding this for $15-$18, though I'd happily pay more if necessary. Appleton V/X is a perfect example of what rum should be, and if your experience is limited to Bacardi and Captain Morgan you're missing out.

A blend of 15 rums aged between 5-10 years (hence, V/X), this Appleton takes its golden hue and vanilla-toffee notes from the oak barrels its components mature in. Tasting it neat, I swear I picked up a pleasing bit of burnt hazelnut that spiced up the more mellow flavors and sweetness, making it really interesting on the palate. The nose is mainly brown sugar and vanilla, with a touch of spice to perk things up again. And, while I'm mostly opposed to polluting good liquor with mixers, I have to say this stuff makes the best damn rum and coke or daiquiri's you are likely to find. That sweet, smooth spice really brings something out of a soda...I think the carbonation opens some flavors up in the rum, too.

For more on Appleton's offerings, and a good bit of quick history on this classic molasses afterthought that once fueled the British Navy, check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment