Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Beverage of the Week - Segura Vidas Brut Reserva Cava

Maybe you got a promotion at work. Maybe you rocked finals. Maybe you just got engaged. Maybe you woke up this morning and said, damn, I'm pretty awesome and it'd just be overkill to look for a reason to celebrate (I usually do). Regardless, nothing says par-tay like champagne. Champagne, of course, is a name limited to a bunch of overpriced bubbly from one little area in France (and, of course, Miller High Life). But in the vernacular  it refers to any sparkling white wine, such as this excellent, inexpensive Cava.

Very dry on the finish, this is heavy on the tart apple and bright citrus, but no one would describe it as sweet. Acidity is generally what I look for in a sparkling, and this just pops right off your tongue as soon as it hits it. Back in my bartending days I had plenty of Cristal, Dom, Veuve and the like - they're great, and maybe I lack the palate for champagne, but I honestly think they're only slightly better than this.  It's the sort of champagne you can really savor a glass of, or down a bottle of - and at under $10 a bottle, there's no shame in either strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment